Need help setting up a laptop docking station? This article provides information on how to connect and set up a docking station with a laptop. Common troubleshooting steps and answers to some frequently asked questions.
Docking stations help give the modern worker the best of both worlds - the benefits of a desktop without sacrificing the portability of a laptop. You can connect external monitors, Ethernet for a reliable connection, USB ports for connecting devices, and a full-size keyboard and mouse, among other things.
The interface for connecting a Dell docking station to a laptop can vary. For more information on the different types of Dell docking stations, visit ourDell Docking Station Guide.
Make sure you are using a laptop-compatible docking station
Docking stations come with different types of docking interfaces. For example Dell E-Port or D-Port, Thunderbolt 3, USB-C, USB 3.0 or WiGig (wireless). It is important to determine if the type of interface or docking connector available on your computer is compatible with the docking station.
- Dell E-Port or D-Port- Patented docking solution for Dell Latitude and Dell Precision E-Series. Dell docking stations provide efficient connectivity to all desktop devices and devices with a simple click of the dock. Mainly available on select Dell Latitude laptops and Precision mobile workstations.
- Radio 3- Thunderbolt 3 docking stations connect all your devices to your laptop with a single Thunderbolt USB-C cable. Expand traditional USB capabilities with native multi-display video, audio, data and power (on select Dell laptops) to charge your laptop with a single USB-C cable. The reversible connector is convenient for using USB-C without misorientation.
- DisplayPort statt USB-C- The USB-C docking station connects all your devices to your laptop with a single USB-C cable. Expand traditional USB capabilities with native multi-display video, audio, data and power (on select Dell laptops) to charge your laptop with a single USB-C cable. The reversible connector is convenient for using USB-C without misorientation.
- USB 3.0- Universal docking stations work with DisplayLink technology, which enables USB docking functions. The universal docking solution allows you to connect multiple monitors, audio, Ethernet and other USB devices to laptops via USB. It works best with USB 3.0 ports on the laptop.
- WiGig (sem fio)- WiGig or wireless docking stations will work with a laptop configured with a WiGig adapter. Only certain Dell laptops are compatible with WiGig technology.
Connect devices to the docking station
- Connect keyboard and mouse.
MONITORING:The Bluetooth keyboard and mouse must be paired with the laptop. Docking stations do not have a built-in Bluetooth receiver. If a USB key came with your wireless keyboard and mouse, insert the USB key into the docking station.
- Connect external monitors. LearnHow to connect a monitor to a Dell computer.
MONITORING:Higher resolution multiple monitor support is dependent on the available bandwidth on the laptop. Consult your docking station user manual to find out how many multiple monitors are supported.
MONITORING:For third-party and third-party docks, see the dock manufacturer's website.(Video) Dell Docking Station Setup
- Connect an Ethernet cable.
- Connect other external USB devices (printer, external webcam, USB drive, etc.) to the docking station.
- Connect the power cord to the docking station.
MONITORING:Dell Technologies recommends using the power adapter that came with the docking station for optimal performance.
- Turn on the docking station.
Connect the docking station to the laptop
Connect the docking station to the laptop. Make sure the docking station is connected to the correct port on the laptop. It is important to ensure that the docking station is connected to the correct port.
- Dell E/Port-Dock- This proprietary docking interface is available on select Dell Latitude and Dell Precision E-Series laptops. This connector is located on the bottom of the laptop.
- Universal USB docking station- Universal USB docking stations work with USB 3.0 ports. Make sure the docking station is connected to one of the available USB 3.0 ports on the laptop.
- USB-C-Dockingstation- USB-C docks can be connected to a USB-C port that supports DisplayPort over USB-C Alternate Mode. USB-C docks can also be connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port on the laptop. Check the user manual to see if the laptop's USB-C port supports DisplayPort over USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 Alternate Mode.
- Radio 3- Thunderbolt docking stations must be connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port on the laptop. Check your laptop's user manual to see if your laptop's USB-C port supports the Thunderbolt 3 protocol.
Download and install the docking station drivers
Dell driver and Windows OS updates:
- RunWindows Updateto ensure the operating system is up to date.
- RunSupportAssist(for all models) orDell Command | To update(for Precision, XPS and Latitude) orDell-Update(For Vostro, Inspiron and G Series) to update your computer BIOS and drivers for your Dell computer and Dell docking station. Dell drivers can also be downloaded and installed manuallyDell holderWebsite.
- The docking station must be connected to the computer during the update process in order to detect and install the docking station firmware.
- After the firmware update, power cycle the docking station.
- Test the docking station to see if the issues are resolved.
|Dock Drivers and Firmware||Nuts|
|Audio-USB-Realtek||Not used by WD19S, WD19TBS or WD19DCS|
|Controlador Realtek USB GBE Ethernet|
|Dell Dock Firmware Update Utility|
|System drivers and firmware|
|Intel Thunderbolt Controller Firmware Update Utility|| |
|Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver|| |
|Intel UHD Graphics Controller||Required even if the computer has a discrete graphics card.|
|Windows operating system updates||Run Windows update|
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I resolve common issues?
- Make sure you're using a docking station that's compatible with your laptop.
- Make sure the docking station has power. For best performance, use the power adapter that came with the docking station.
- Disconnect a laptop docking station.
- Save your work and restart your laptop.
- Connect the docking station to the laptop.
- Check the connections of devices like keyboard, mouse, monitor and more.
- Download and install the latest drivers for the docking station.
- Download and install the latest BIOS or system setup for your computer.
- Download and install the latest graphics or video card drivers for your computer.
For links to Dell docking guides and more information on troubleshooting a specific Dell dock, visit ourDell Docking Station Guide.
How do I use a docking station with a desktop computer?
Although docking stations are primarily used with laptops, using a docking station with a desktop computer is very similar to using a laptop. Most desktop computers offer a wide range of ports, reducing the need for desktop computer docking stations.
Why does the screen go black when I close the lid of my laptop?
This is usually the result of power settings. Change the power settings by following the steps below to make sure the screen doesn't turn off after you close the laptop lid.
- CliqueBeginand selectIdeas.
- Select in the left panepower and spring.
- Select in the right paneAdditional power settings.
- NOpower optionsselect windowChoose what the lid closure does.
- under both
in the batterymi
connected, change thatwhen I close the lidadjustments forDo nothing.
- Cliquesave Changes.
Dell Dock WD15, Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16, Dell Precision Dual USB-C Thunderbolt Dock: TB18DC, Dell Universal Dock D6000, Dell Dock WD19, Dell Performance Dock: WD19DC, Dell Performance Dock: WD19DCS, Dell Dock: WD19S , Dell Thunderbolt-Dock – WD19TB, Dell Thunderbolt-Dock – WD19TBS ...